The Parrish Area 5th Grade Beginning Band is starting soon. We have a great Band program at Parrish Middle School, and we would like your child to be a part of it. All 5th Graders from Englewood, Grant, Highland, and Hoover Elementary Schools are invited to participate.
Beginning Band Classes Start Monday, September 26
- Classes are every school day from 3:10-3:55 PM.
- Classes are in the Parrish Middle School Band Room.
- 5th Grade Beginning Band meets for the entire school year.
- Students do not need any musical experience to be in Band.
Transportation is Provided
- After school, a bus will pick up the Band kids at their elementary school and bring them to Parrish.
- After Band, students are allowed to ride middle school buses, walk home, or parents may pick up students right outside the Band Room which is in the north-east corner of the building on D Street.
5th grade Band ends 5 minutes before middle schoolers are released to give parents a head start on the after-school crowd.
Instrument Selection and Renting an Instrument
- Students do not need an instrument during the first week of Band class. The first day that students need an instrument will be Monday, October 3rd
During the first week of class (Sep. 26-30), students will go through an instrument selection process, after which, detailed information on instrument rentals will be sent home. It is recommended to wait until you get this information before looking into getting an instrument.
If the cost of renting an instrument is a concern, we can help with school issued instruments. Being in Band is not cost prohibitive. Anyone can be in Band!
Local Music stores in Salem Keizer with Rent-to Own Band instruments:
- If you are planning on getting an instrument through a music store Rent-to-Own program and would like to get the instrument sooner than Oct. 4th, contact me and we can schedule an after-school time to go through the instrument selection process with you and your student.
- Warning: There are a lot of poor quality instruments on the internet that are nothing but junk!!! Instead of internet shopping, I recommend the local music stores who stand behind their products with warranties and FREE REPAIRS!
- You may already have a Band instrument. If it is used, I recommend taking it to one of the music stores for a check-up before classes start. If that is not possible, your child can bring it to Parrish during the first week of Band and I can check it out for you.
We look forward to starting another fantastic Beginning Band. I cannot wait to meet all of you and your students. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Douglas Wagers (Parrish Band Director)
503-399-3210 (Parrish Phone)